I’ve noticed a lot of services lately notifying that communication using TLS 1.0 and 1.1 are going to be disabled in the near future. While I haven’t had any problems yet in my production environment (because TLS 1.2 is configured correctly), I noticed a problem in a test environment. The error message I was receiving from one particular service was:
The request was aborted: Could not create SSL/TLS secure channel
At first, I wasn’t quite sure why there was a problem, but after I received an email from the service provider about sunsetting TLS 1.0 and 1.1, it dawned on me that my dev box didn’t have TLS 1.2 properly configured.
I develop on Windows, so the way you enable TLS 1.2 on Windows (or at least the only way I found), was directly through the registry editor.
The subkeys you need to edit are as follows*:
For each of these, add 2 DWORDs:
- SystemDefaultTlsVersions (value data: 1)
- SchUseStrongCrypto (value data: 1)
And that’s it. As soon as I added those keys to my registry, the application on my development box started worked again
*Note: you do not need to add all four subkeys depending on whether you are running on a 32 or 64-bit machine and running 32-bit or 64-bit software. See the resources below for more details